Ants on a Blog

'We cannot get out. The end comes. Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.'

10.14.2005

Teachers are Thieves

My good friend and colleague, Benjaminz, offered to the rest of us a useful, well-crafted exercise with the purpose of giving student some experience synthesizing information. The students are supposed to come up with a handful of exotic locales they'd like to visit someday and ask a few people where they'd like to go and why. Then they're supposed to ask a few more people if they'd like to go any of the places mentioned--why and why not and all that, blah blah blah. Well, in order to "lead by example" as I'm fond of, I thought I'd whip up my own mock interviews for my students to get a feel for how it's goin' down. I'm particularly proud of it:

My "Daydream Destination" Example
My five places: Japan, Ireland, Scotland, England, Norway
My first three people: Henry Rollins, Miles Davis, and Your Mom

Their places:
Henry: Italy--for the food and Vespa scooters; Brazil--to get in touch with the rainforest and for the futbol; Norway--for "stoic people that won't piss me off."
Miles: France--for the jazz scene; Africa--for "roots, baby, roots."; England--"'cuz they all think Americans is jive. They is, man. They is."
Your Mom: Ireland--because "It's
so greeeen there!"; New York--for the "bustle" and "excitement" and "all the interesting people"; Denmark--because "Well, that's where your father's side of the family comes from, ya know."

Three other people: Wes Walz, Les Claypool, and Your Girlfriend
Where these people would/n't like to go:
Wes wants to go to: England--because "I've played hockey in ever country in the world except there."
Wes doesn't want to go to: Africa--because "Hockey's just not catching on very fast over there. Besides, too hot for ice."

Les wants to go to: None of these countries because "None of them have sturgeon for me to fish. At least Norwegians were once Vikings. They fished didn't they? That's close enough.
Les doesn't want to go to: Ireland or Scotland--because "They boil all their food! Have you ever had boiled fish? It's just gross."

Your Girlfriend wants to go: back to my place for caramels, coffee, and more caramels. "OK, if I
had to pick another place, it'd be Ireland 'cuz it's so greeeen there!"
Your Girlfriend doesn't want to go to: Japan--because "Like, square watermelons just
totally freak me out."

Mace...out

2 Comments:

  • At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had an opportunity to review your blog. I couldn’t help but notice the link “MacMike’s Wife Hates Me.” Quit your whining, Joshua!

    Signed,
    Dr. MacMike’s Wife.

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger Mason said…

    I wrote that link with MacMike sitting next to me. He didn't stop me. Hmm...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home