Ants on a Blog

'We cannot get out. The end comes. Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.'

3.28.2006

Lotioning and "Tucking" in Class

[Editor's note: This post has been revised into an open letter to my student who I (playfully) embarrassed in class today:]

I apologize for embarrassing you in class, Erin. Your phone rang, a sassy salsa ring, not unlike BatManuel's from The Tick.

It rang during in-class work time so it wasn't a big deal to begin with. Also, your blood-rushed cheeks expressed the perfect amount of embarrassment. I've heard horror stories from other teachers about their students handling phone calls with far less class and humility, actually answering the phone and having a conversation, the teacher glaring but unsure whether to be angry or amazed.

The salsa jig and your obvious embarrassment were too much to ignore; I had to have fun with it. You did answer the phone, but I could tell you did it just to stop the ringing and to tell the caller you'd call back later. But I couldn't resist mocking shock and injustice that you answered. Then I said, "It hangs up the phone or else it gets the hose again," which resulted in a round of uneasy I-can't-believe-he-just-said-that-in-class laughter. You all knew the reference--The Silence of the Lambs, of course--or at least you knew it from The Family Guy, from an episode in which Stewie says the real line: "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again." Besides, the line and scene have become pop culture trivia.

I [heart] Bill.

Then I remembered the song "Lotion" by The Greenskeepers which was written about the movie; and since I'm an attention whore, I began to sing it. Of course, none of you understood that reference. So I told you all about the song and the video and promptly supplied a link for it on The Mothership Connection.

I remember the day that Poats came home to our Lavish Atwood estate at The Quads. Sire an Canham followed close behind, singing the song. They hastened me to a computer (which wasn't far since I lived with three Computer Science majors) and fired up the video. My favorite things about it is how well the lyrics match up with the scene and, of course, the money shot at the end: The Tuck.

Anyway.

Again, I apologize, Erin. You didn't deserve my singing.


Wow. What a great open letter. From The Tick to The Tuck.

Mace... out

7 Comments:

  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Mason said…

    I do two things to my Comp students: 1) recruit them for the English department, or 2) mess them up. So far, there's been some recruiting but way more messing up.

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jared,

    I love you, your random knowledge, and your ability to continually impress me with fucked up shit from the net.

    Michael

    PS: By "love", I mean in that kind of man love kind of way... and maybe respect? Yeah.

    PPS: Along those same lines, "A SNAAAAAAAKE! AAAAAAAAA!"

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Mason said…

    How long did you watch Badger-Badger in order to see if it ended? I think I sat there for five minutes once.

    By that time, you start tricking yourself into thinking, "Op! I think it was a little different that time; the end must be soon!"

    Five minutes later, your brain has suffered irreparable damage and you seem pliƩ-ing badgers everywhere you go.

    So, take my word: It repeats for ever.

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Blogger Mason said…

    Consider yourself reminded!

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wish I could remember. I do remember being "altered" at the time, and seeing slight variations... likely flickers in our slow internet connection, or breaks in the loop and thinking it changed. So, I'd say probably more like 10-15 minutes (maybe longer).

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Jean. said…

    I love The Tick! I used to watch that show all of the time when I was younger. And then when we got the free Fox cartoons magazine in the mail, we'd fight over it to read about the cartoons. Mostly The Tick. Sometimes I catch reruns and then my roommates wake up on Saturday mornings to find me huddled up with a bowl of Froot Loops laughing out loud to cartoon network.

    I could only stand the badgers for about 2 minutes. Mashroom mashroom!

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger ZINNEL said…

    Yeah Erin,
    I just saw that South Park episode tonight and it was great. Actually they were playing "lambs" in the basement like in the movie. It must have been a classic movie spoof-fest because they quickly followed with blatant references from 2001 and Planet of the Apes.

    That episode also contained the most untrue observation ever, when a girl said "having boobs sucks."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home