Ants on a Blog

'We cannot get out. The end comes. Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.'

12.01.2005

Much Like a Mogwai...

...shouldn't be allowed to eat after midnight, I shouldn't be allowed to grade papers after, say, 4am. At this time, I do not retreat into a mucousy coccoon and emerge later with more scales and a shock of white mohawk. Instead, I write things on papers that might make my students question my togetherness, my--O how to put it eloquently?--my I'm-not-crazy.

I graded final drafts of my students' argumentative syntheses tonight, far too late as unity would have it. My process consists of referencing previous drafts of papers while grading revisions. I look over the old draft real quick like just to refresh my memory of how well-off or doomed-off the student is. I usually flip right to the back page to read my maniacal, red-penned end comment. The following is one of my end comments for which I have only a faint recollection:

"Tweak things further to make this paper feel driven by your argument. Right now, it feels like more of a critique of a subject, as in:
Here's an orange. I think oranges are great.

Instead, your paper should feel like:
I think oranges are great. O here's an orange. Isn't that great?

Does that make any sense?
Jared"


While I don't really remember writing this, I remember thinking "I'm going to have to remember this."

When I more-or-less unconsciously end-comment in this fashion, am I doing this student any good at all? Was I to begin with? I think, maybe, the orange example might have helped: She's an A-student. Sometimes, though, I think I might be better off dousing myself with water, watching my spine bubble and spout larval eggs that will later, after sufficient incubation, spawn bizarro multiplications of myself. But that's what teaching's all about anyway, right?

Mace...out

6 Comments:

  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    I always wanted a Gizmo! But then again, I want a Dobby, too. Do you think they would get along?

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Mason said…

    Gizmo would never put up with a lousy Gizmo-clone Dobby. Gizmo would go Gremlin on Dobby. He'd enslave Dobby to do his bidding. In that respect, yes, they'd get a long.

     
  • At 1:37 AM, Blogger Mason said…

    Oh yeah, that's what they were called before they started calling them Dobby. Next year it will be Lameby; the year after that will be Waste of Monbey; and after that will be Furby again.

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger Jessica said…

    Dobby is soooooooo not a Gizmo or Furby! He is hairless... and taller... and skinny! And he hits himself which is scary but endearing. And he can speak English. With a British accent.

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Jessica said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Blogger Mason said…

    Well I'm just... lost. Fuck them all. Gizmo reigns supreme.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home