Ants on a Blog

'We cannot get out. The end comes. Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.'

4.04.2006

Another Midnight Office Monday!

It was bitter cold walking down the hill tonight. That doesn't mean I'm sorry for wearing flip-flops. I've been wearing flip-flops since freakin' April--a whole week ago! No one should ever apologize for flip-flops. Shucks: I've worn them at weddings.

Anyway. Tonight was yet another late night at AH210. I'm beginning to like them. I feel like I'm the only person in the building, especially when my perception is confined to the papers in front of me and my 'Pod in my ears.

I rarely see them, but I know the janitors are hard at work. I'll look up one minute, and the motion sensor lights in the hall will be off. Then I'll go back to The Critiquening of papers and The Rockening of musicks. When I look up again, the lights will be back on. Either The Rockening is so hard that I set off the sensors, or someone else sets them off--witnesses my unabashed movements.

They're sneaky, those cobbler gnome janitors. The garbage in AH210 was brimming one minute and hollow the next. I wonder how they do it! I wonder if they watch me from the hall, if they hang out for a bit in the office, if they wag their wangs at me while my red pen flies and my oblivious head bobs.

I love The Rockening at Midnight. I'd like you all to meet my new favorite instrument:

That's right: It's a Desk Djembé. O the sounds it makes! The range! Vibrous basses to dry slaps and a million tones and timbres in between! A solid knee against the inside of the leg space produces bass tones that wilt Brawnce's pretty flower. There's my red pen, impliment of my Rüd rudiments.

During the day when AH210 is over-populated, I have to keep The Rockening in check, esle I receive Elyssar's annoyed stare. But on Midnight Mondays, the janitors surely have a dance party right outside the office--a ninja dance party, I'm sure, since I never see them.

Ninja Cobbling Janitors, Masters of the Flying Spirit Sweeper and Five-Point Garbage Deboweler.

--

Blurry Picture Dump: This Weekend

Stupid Human Tricks don't count with finger help and such wrinkly concentration.

Impressed with Benjaminz Kenobi's powers, Sal Manda (of Kashyyyk) implores Old Benz to accept her first Padawan Learner in almost twenty years.

This is usually Tyler's face pre-flop before he calls $3 with 6-3-off and flops a boat. Instead of poker last Thursday, we were at McGoff's for the limierick contest. Clint voted for Tyler's limiericks, citing straightforwardness and profesh swearing as reasons.

I forget what Tyler said while Sal Mander of Kashyyyk and I were posing for this pic, but it was enough to open my mouth--which Tyler was far too excited to make me do. Tyler, please don't ever again tell me how nice it is when I open my mouth.

Mace...out

6 Comments:

  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Chad said…

    Finally... I've always been impressed with the desks in the TA offices as percussion instruments. A startling range, indeed. Rapping your knuckles against the very edge makes a nice combo with hand-heel in the very center of the desk. Knees on the side work well, too.

    I've...I've said too much.

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger Mason said…

    You haven't said anything I can't out-dork. In high school, I used to carry drumsticks in my backpack just in case I found something interesting to drum on.

    You know those crazy cable things that hold up streetlight poles? Well they're crazy. I hear "they" use/manipulated that sound to create the blaster sound effect for Star Wars.

    Congratulations: You've been out-dorked.

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Blogger Jean. said…

    Stop it. You're both turning me on.


    Since I'm 100% and utterly serious, I get to be the queen dork.

    I am by NO means a drummer, but when I worked at Subway my friend Steven (actually a drummer) showed me how to take 5 of the food containers (think tupperware square things), turn them upside down, set them up like tenors. Then he taught me how to play the marching band drum cadence.

    When customers came in, they first heard me in the back tapping at them with my index fingers until they were read and sore.

    Now. Who wants to make out?

     
  • At 12:19 AM, Blogger ZINNEL said…

    Mace,
    Those things that hold up poles are guy-wires.

    About the Star Wars sound effects - watch the part of the extras disk of the original trilogy DVD with Ben Burtt talking about how he made all of the sounds. It is great. By the way, so is the Jurassic Park extra about how they combined animal sounds to create the dinosaur screams.

    +1 dorkocity

     
  • At 1:21 AM, Blogger Mason said…

    Well aren't you resourceful?

    When I was a kid--circa 2003--before I got my first drumkit, I'd set up throw pillows on the couch to form a drumset. Then I'd air-pillow-drum to Larry Mullen Jr. drumbeats on U2's The Joshua Tree.

    Our love turns to russssst.

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger swinesack said…

    whoa...mason, you look like a younger version of Mr. Satterwall from Jr. High in that pic.

    Academia is fostering a fantastic "crazy professor" look for ya.

    btw, for all you poor kids who are this mason's students...may god have mercy on your souls.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home