Ants on a Blog

'We cannot get out. The end comes. Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.'

12.09.2005

Sometimes, I Don't Want the Semester to End.


'Tude O 'Tude... Can I fail her just so she has to take my class again this spring?

Tonight (Thursday) was the first of two dance concerts over at the Ted Paul Theater in the Performing Arts building. I drum for two pieces in the concert (including an Afro/Caribbean piece that makes your pants move). I'm king of shameless plugs, so of course I mentioned the concert to my comp class--
No, class, there will be no extra credit if you go. I mentioned because it's my experience that you never know when you might bump into someone who danced for years and years but stopped and now misses it and would be interested in not just the concert but maybe taking some classes too. I've heard it a hundred times.

I also mentioned it just to do my part to spread the word, plant the seeds--seeds of faith-ah. Yeah, I recruit for English
and Dance. I never imagined that any of my students would actually go. But I get an email from 'Tude tonight saying how "fabulous" I did "banging" on my "bongos". I don't think I've ever played bongos in my life. I play djembe and conga in the concert, which I made sure to tell the class because I'm a snob like that. So, her use of "bongos" is a subtle jab, trust me. There's never just a compliment; there is always something underneath too.

This is the way it should be! If I had it my way, all correspondence would be so complimentary, playful, and tart--especially with students! The potential to learn--the readiness to learn--is limitless in this kind of comfy environment with cold pillows.

I don't doubt that she enjoyed the concert--but there's even another level. Here's where the bargaining comes in; playful, tarty bargaining. She writes that since she came to my concert, I shouldn't mark her absent tomorrow in class. Set me up. Knock me down. If you've taken Screenwriting with TD, the phrase "rise-n-fall of emotion" might come to mind.

It's the most thought out ass-kissing/deal-striking proposition a student has attempted and I want it to never end. Of course, the whole situation would be different if she wasn't 'Tude and if she wasn't one of my brightest. In any other case, I might reply to the email with, "Glad you enjoyed it! Consider your attendance dot-checked!" And then go ahead and mark her absent. I might do that anyway just to keep 'Tude's game going.

So maybe I'll carry an extra two when figuring out her grade (which I now know how to do. Thanks, E!) just so she's on my roster in January.
Better luck this spring, 'Tude. Class is on Tuesdays and Fridays at noon in AH204. No, there's no extra credit for taking my class twice.

Like I said, I'm King of Shameless Plugs: The second dance concert is Friday, December 9 at 4pm in the Ted Paul Theater in the Performing Arts Building. Price: 6-ish bucks? Payoff: You get to see my embarrassing head motions and eyebrow twitches while I play.

Mace...out with twitches

3 Comments:

  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Michael David MacBride said…

    Not only that, but HOLY POO the romp had by Minnesota.

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I bet she wants you to bang on her bongos! "Bangin' on those bongos like a chimpanzee!" - Mark Knopfler

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Mason said…

    Dodge! Yeah, I kinda 180'd on the blog issue pretty hard, eh? I'm pretty sure what I was afraid of was getting too into it, which I definitely have. Also, I simply didn't have any experience with blogging-well-done, like Jean's and yours and everyone else's. I'd only been exposed to bloggers who pretty much pooped on the keyboard and hit 'publish.' That's the way of things, though: knock it til you try it, then try it, repent, repeat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home