Ants on a Blog

'We cannot get out. The end comes. Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.'

2.22.2006

Any Day...

...is a good day if I get to play a drumset. My boss, Jules, has kept me on a pretty tight djembé & conga only leash for the last couple years. I have gone through stretches of multiple months without playing on a drumset since then. It's been hell for my set playing, but heaven for my hand drumming.

The pictured set is aderivativee of the one I played for a couple years for the dancers. It's not the same because the need for a set today was short notice, so I didn't have all the same pieces. Normally, I would have had a tiny tom on a stand were the conga is. The tom is real small and not that great. The best thing about it is that it has two tones, one for the initial strike and another resolving tone a half step or so down.

Also, I would have a single cymbal stand with two splash cymbals (their bells facing each other for space), which would be between and behind the tom and hi-hats. Everything else is like it used to be. Yes, that bassdrum is actually a de-tuned floor tom. You can't read it well, but the text on the hi-hat reads "Sound Vader... Made in West Germany." That's how old they are.

Mace...out

1 Comments:

  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger ZINNEL said…

    East German hi-hats would be so much more precise, yet rigid. The plan would be for all cymbals to share equally decent sound, but one cymbal would have it all and the rest would wallow in the frozen mud.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home