Ants on a Blog

'We cannot get out. The end comes. Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.'

4.09.2006

Cover Bands are Tragic Things.

Cover bands are like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in a Dixie Cup: The contents are astounding, but the presentation is thin, soggy floral print--a volume too small to do the content justice. But it's not the content's fault because, for whatever reason, the only container thirsty people want to drink out of is a Dixie Cup.

As many of you know, since I was with many of you, a pretty good cover band, Vinyl Bridge, played at the Pub this weekend. As my Dixie Cup simile implies, Vinyl Bridge were far better musicians than the music they played.

"People don't want originals," the bassist told me after I asked him if they play any. Even before I asked, I could sense they wanted to express themselves; but expressing individuality is a poor band's endevour. Most venues want nothing to do with it. Most audiences want their "Brown Eyed Girl" by their fourth or fifth Slo Gin Fizz.

I was fond of the drummer's set. I'm not a brand guy, so I don't remember what kind he had. Doesn't matter, though: It sounded good. I do remember that he was strictly Sabian except for his crisp, warm China cymbal, the brand of which I also forget; but he made sure to point out it was only $35, a steal for sure for how good it sounded.

He had a nice two-legged hi-hat stand with a cymbal attachment for a crash. Also attached was a drumstick quiver (not pictured). Yay for blurry drum pics!

I really liked this setup:

Of course, I'm referring to the single stand holding up 1) the floor tom, 2) ride cymbal (middle of pic), 3) a third crash (top left), and 4) the China. That's a nice piece of equipment. Here's why: It didn't fall over. Most stands wobble with a floor tom and ride, but that mass of silver and steel to the left of the tom held all four pieces sure and steady. Before I saw what exactly was going on, I could tell the tom and at least the crash were on the same stand. I had to change my pants when I saw the truth.

The drummer was excellent. He had great chops, thanks to a drum and bugle corp he had played with. His fills and beats were indicative of a jazz background, and his time was rock solid. I could tell he and the bassist have played a long time together. Listening to the two of them really made me miss Hip Replacement and playing with Grant. Summer couldn't come quicker.

And speaking of the bassist, he's been added to long list of my dopplegangers. Several of my colleagues informed me of this on Friday night. The list so far:

Half-Life's main character, Gordon Freeman

The Taco Bell Guy.

I get this a lot, especially from my students who seem to forget everyday that yesterday they asked me if anyone had ever told me I "look like the Taco Bell Guy." First credit for this comparison goes to Sal's ma, Mary Schuckencorn.

And now, apparently, the Vinyl Bridge bassist is my clean-shaven twin. There's a pic of him on their website which they made sure to plug a ho-gillion times on Friday. If you don't want to follow that link, here's a pic of his bass. I think this bass and I strike a much better resemblance anyway.

Did I forget any dopplegangers?

Mace...out

4 Comments:

  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Jean. said…

    HUZZAH!

    Please write an essay about cover bands. Because, why not?

    Because I would certainly read it over and again.

    I don't hate cover bands, but I can see your point. I like when the bring at least something new to old songs.

    I also like that you had to change your pants after looking at drums.

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with Pat. You're much prettier than that dorky Taco Bell guy AND the animated dude too.

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger Mitch said…

    You in fact DO have another doppleganger. One of my teachers looks just like you, and the most curious part about this is that his name is Jamie Molitor. JM!

    I'll make him pose for a picture sometime this week and post it.

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    While I would agree that cover bands are tragic, there is some kind of beauty is properly done covers. When you can walk that balance of retaining the original and making it your own, it's pretty awesome.

    When I think of examples of this, I immediately come to the Gourd's cover of Gin 'n Juice. I've heard their other covers and haven't been very impressed. But, Gin 'n Juice is a thing of beauty. Another worthy set of covers can be found on this album. Who says that AC/DC are masochistic jock rock? Chicks playing acoustic covers of AC/DC rule.

    However, being a cover band can either launch your career or mark the end of it. Alien Ant Farm come to mind as an example of being famous for a cover and then dying a slow death. GNR's Nazareth cover seemed to be the final nail in the coffin (though, they did covers before this, of course).

    While some bands can get away with it, it seems like avoiding the cover can be either a really smart marketing ploy to get airplay... or it could mark the end of a short career.

    Play some Skynrd!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home