Ants on a Blog

'We cannot get out. The end comes. Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.'

5.05.2006

This is Mainly For Sire

My current desktop background. Opeth is what I call Ghost Metal. It's impossible to explain in a single blogpost. If you're that intersted in knowing just what the fuck I mean by Ghost Metal, we can talk.

I matched a nice deep brown with the tan of the "O" for the desktop frame of this pic. For those of you who still STRETCH desktop images--fucking-shame-on-you! One nerd to the uninitiated: Never stretch ever. You get me? NEVER. It's as tacky as tacky gets. Warhol would tile. Pollock would splat. No one fucking stetches. Borders make the painting. Think of desktop-framing as the under-appreciated grammar of the best sentence ever--if that does it for you.

I thought Sire might specifically appreciate this pic since after all of my prompting with previous albums, only "Damnation" would do it for him. He says that "screeching" vocals is laughable in the other albums; but he means "growling," and even then he's sadly too Americanized to understand the importance of growled vox. Whatev. "Damnation" is perfect, with or without Cookie Monster vox.

But... Sire, you're missing out on important synchopation because you can't let yourself appreciate growling--growling that YOU can replicate easily! I've heard you do it! Even Danecek would be jealous of your uninitiated growling prowess! Honestly, Sire, you'd make for a great Anything-Metal voxist.

Mace...out

5 Comments:

  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger swinesack said…

    Morningsrise > Gaymnation

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Granted...I'm Collin said…

    You can't look at it as "The great Album: Damnation". It IS, and always will be, "The great double CD: Damnation & Deliverance". Both of which are 100% emotional rainy Autumn albums and shouldn't be put into the same catagory as Summertime-party time-Miller lite & a boom-box Metal, such as anything Koelsch (Pre-Mason and Danecek. e.g. Carcus, Metallica, Megadeath, Jesus Jones, etc.), Arcturus (post Masquarade), Anything that has to do with America or Goth or Vampires, and shit you hear on the radio. This Double Opeth album with change your life...and if you don't like, take it up with the god-damned IRS!@!@#$

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a bitchin logo. It is very earthern and Rüderick. Even though I'm not a big fan of the cookie monstering, Deliverance and Ghost Reveries could grow on me. The beats and guitars are tops. There's probably more normal vocals and cookie monsters on those two albums. I think I'll reserve my growling for when I'm playing with my nephews though.

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Blogger ZINNEL said…

    Opeth surely is a gateway metal band. This "metal" band combines so many elements into each of their epic masterpieces that anyone is sure to like something about it. Hell, my mom likes Damnation and she's as much of a metalhead as the Pope. I was shocked when I saw this band from obscure Swedish beginning on an album release display panel at Best Buy!

    Opeth is one of the only bands ever where I've celebrated their entire catalog pretty equally. However, Damnation+Deliverance is great and hard to beat, but I still like Orchid and Morningrise better.

     
  • At 3:16 AM, Blogger Mason said…

    Opeth's Ghost Metal melancholy hauntings have been the soundtrack to my depressingly final semester. In order to salvage some upbeatedness, I declare DragonForce as my summer soundtrack.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home