Ants on a Blog

'We cannot get out. The end comes. Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.'

1.06.2007

Funk at the Fine Line

The funk band I've played with since goddamn high school has a gig this Friday, January 12th, at the Fine Line in Downtown Minneapolis. Filthy funk details and directions.

I've spoken about Hip Replacement, with many people for many years. Most people have had to just trust me that the band exists. This is because I've been playing with them off-and-on over the last seven years while attending school apart from them, so there have been painful few gigs. Now's my chance to prove I'm not a liar, and it's your chance to listen and dance to the funkiest music ever--that is, the funkiest music ever played by dorks from Lou Park. These dorks:

[Editor's Note - Clockwise from top-left: Kubes (drumset), Me (percussion), Grant (bass), Pokorny (keys), Tearra (vox), Koelsch (guitar)]

OK, so one of us in there is clearly no dork. There's also no coincidence that she's not from (or living in) St. Louis Park. That's Tearra. She's bomb. Come to listen to her; stay for my congas. That's right: congas--not bongos.

Up until now, I played drumset for HR. But this time around, I play congas, djembe, cowbell (for which I have a prescription), and more tambourine than you'd find at any Southern Baptist revival. The three reasons for my switch are as follows:

One: HR finally found a steady drummer, Brian Kubes, during the long stretches while I was away. Not only that, we've found in Kubes a friend and the coolest guy out of Grand Marais ever.

Two: Over the last six years, I've played congas/djembe almost exclusively for my much-missed dancers, deep in the bowels of Andreas building at MSU. It's a natural switch.

Three: Kubes is simply way better than me. And he's from Grand Marais; I'm not messin' with that guy.

So, you see, it has been a natural transition to go from set to percussion. Kubes offers the band a wealth of set skills, and I get to offer another layer that we've always thought Hip Replacement lacked.

It's a win-win. I hope you can make it.

Mace...not afraid to explore the space of the studio.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger Chad said…

    Things I recently enjoy about your blog:

    1) The mention of Children of Men. I've wanted to see this movie for a while, and it's nice to see that you corroborated what the reviewers had to say. Cuz you know, man, the reviewers are smart and all but...you're the people, man. The people. One love.

    2) I want to see Hip Replacement.

    3) And...the heading on your blog. One of the coolest lines from LOTMFR. Those dwarves were screwed.

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay! HR, live? Holy crap... how can one not attend?

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger Mason said…

    Men: Hope you can make it!

    Mike: I don't know. I've often wondered how COULD one attend, but not how one could NOT attend.

    It'll probably be worth it just to see me play the tamb. All the church ladies back in the day loved my tamb playing.

    Don't miss it!

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, I'm pretty sure it's official now... Grant is one of the funkiest white men I have ever seen. Good show, I wish I could have hung around for the other group... but, alas. When's the album coming out? Speaking of which, I was listening to the other album you gave me... which reminded me how diverse and amazing you are. Yay. ¡Requiero más música ahora!

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger ZINNEL said…

    "The funk band I've played with since goddamn high school..."

    Don't you mean, "since GORRAM high school". Mispoken Mandarin is acceptable to TV and Blog censors.

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    I aim to misbehave . . .

     
  • At 12:54 AM, Blogger swinesack said…

    what a bunch of whities. that chick totally saves your credibility.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home