Ants on a Blog

'We cannot get out. The end comes. Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.'

5.20.2006

Where's My DS?

...because I feel a [Picture] Dump comin' on.

First of all, let me apologize for the latency of this Dump. So much crap; so little time. Second of all, whoever designed graduation fashion never graduated from fashion school. You introduce me to the person who came up with the squared hat and I punch him in the neck--I'll even wear the hat while I punch. I write him because no woman would ever be so lacking of fashion sense to convince herself or anyone else that squared hats are distinguishingly academic-looking. No one looks good in these things. I'm convinced the whole cap/gown/squared hat thing is a last big faculty joke before their graduates go on to prove themselves as jokes in the "real world"--whatever the fuck that is.

On with the dump:

Let's forego the ceremony pics and get to the important aftermath.

The Two Most Important People in My Life (in No Order): !) Before either of my readers get a chance to comment--no, this is not my older sister. This is Ma. She can dance either of you--even Bryan--under the proverbial dancing table. And she could teach you, BM Seth, more than a few things about der bluezen.

@) The Hawk - I apologize to those who missed meeting my family. I planned on them all being around later than they could stay. I hate to admit for whom there was the most buzz about meeting, but The Hawk was #1 by far--mostly due to how much I've written about him, seeing as though he's a writing goldmine. Here he is, in all his Grizzly Adams/Gandalf Glory.

[Editor's Note: real numbers fixed] From left to right: #4 Brother Timmon, myself, The Hawk, #1 Brother Lucas.

Where's number #2?

#2 is Justin, and even if I could have gotten a hold of him (which I tried and failed to), he wouldn't have (been able to?) come. I'm not bitter; that's just the facts. I'm uber blessed and pleased with how many family were able to come as it was!

Far left: #5 Brother Dan.

Wait a second! I thought there were only FOUR Mason boys!!!1

OK, this is going to take some explaining: The hip gentlemen on the far left is Daniel Mason--common-law step brother. Here's the short history: Dan happens to share the same last name with we Masons. The Hawk and Dan's mother lived together for several years after my parents split up. Even before then, we were all church cronies at the church my Grandpa built--so there's family-friend history plus unacknowledged step-family history. It's all really fucked up, yes. Let's just call him Drunken Pirate Dan and be done with the whole weird soap opera, K? K.

At some point in every man's life, he must wear his father's hat. Most fathers' hats, however, aren't adorned with Red-Tailed Hawk tail feathers. You can tell that Sal took this pic because her bazillion camera flashes send my eyes scattering. No, I wasn't drunk. Yet.

Blue Bricks opens at noon on Saturdays. We were there at noon-fifteen. This man is #2 for the most buzz about meeting: T-Bone/T-Square/Green-T... The Infamous Timmon. Much later that evening, Koelsch and Zinnel came up with the best Timmon nickname ever: Intimmondator. Holy fuck. Why hadn't we thought of that before? Regardless, here is my brother, Timmon.

Later the evening, several SLPeeps arrived (several of whom have already been pictured here at AOAB). From left to right: He Who is Koelsch, myself, Zinnel, Grant, and Mal. Photographer: Sal--don't worry, babe; you're in the pics coming up! Location: Mexican Village. O, Mexican Village Burritos, how I love you. O, Mexican Village Burritos, how my toilet loathes you.

There she is, right in the middle of all that home-towny goodness.

Grant and Mal--who has an oak's patience for idiots like us. O Mal, Grant, someday we'll work out that foursome.

Koelsch can hold the camera. Stop flexing, Koelsch. That's so '82.

Whoa whoa whoa... Koelsch, meet Koelsch.

Whoa whoa whoa... Grant, meet Grant. What a cute couple. They even kissed after J2B2 started a game of Heinz Spin the Bottle.

It would be impossible to guestimate how many times I've drummed for Sara while she danced. But we don't need to tap that wellspring of sappiness yet again. Sara will always remember me by the "Unsung Hero" award that I left in her car after this year's Theatre and Dance Gala award ceremony. I guess that's the thing about unsung heroes: They don't complain about not being acknowledged, and they lose their awards when they are.

More dancers!: Megan and Bryan Who Thinks Naughtilie is Beautiful. Megan was one of the only dancers who I successfully taught how to Do the Whale--which sounds scandalous, now that I've written it. But I asure you that it simply involves a licked finger and taught calf skin. Shit. There's no way out of this one.

Megan: Fish in my hay-ah! Fish in my hay-ah!

Bryan: If you ever hope to get me into fishnet again, you'd better act quick.

[EN: So much unity!]

This is when things kinda got weird:

So, yeah, I have complex about my freakish hands, but it's Grant's right hand that's the cause of the face I'm making.

Girls!

Buddy Koelsch, Jack-n-Coke is not a man's drink. Jack is. Stop flexing. And if you're reading this, WhyTF are you reading this? You should be posting on the Blog of Eternal Stench instead. Also, stop flexing.

So like, who doesn't love Chard, right? I don't know so much about Jackass Next to Him, who made Chard wear his pink sweater. I think Chard knew him, but the look into the camera screams of just wanting to please everybody, even drunk acquaintances.

Things got weirder: Sad Mace. Sad Man. Kissing is the Zinnel.

And They Were Brought Together Again--Naughtilie and Bryan Who Thinks Naughtilie is Beautiful. Thanks, Bry. Now we'll never hear the end. Ahh shucks. Who isn't a sucker for poise?

Cherry coke has a profound effect on Zinnel. I think an intervention is in order. I'll bring cookies.

There are more cosmic things happening here than Brawnce and I posing for yet another picture. What doesn't Jessica see collected in the high tiles of Blue Bricks? What hasn't gotten caught up there to linger forever, smelling of smoke and sour beer spills, only traceable elsewhere in pictures on blogs?

Great pictures like this one. And countless others. Fond memories of experiences that I'll cherish forev--what? Tequila shots?! Sure!!!1

Mace...out

PS: If any-yall have pictures from this historic night that deserve publication at AOAB, send them please!

17 Comments:

  • At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Baby, I think you've got your brother's #'s mixed up. YOU are #3, not Timmon. And then you labeled Justin as #3 as well...he's #2, remember? Must've still been a bit drunk when you posted this, eh? Either way, I enjoyed it :)

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger Mason said…

    I love numbers.

    Where were you later, Dodge?

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger Sethy Go Bragh! said…

    I must say that those two handsome damn Koelsches. But did Koelsch out Koelsch Koelsch? That's a head scratcher.

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    Let's do tequila again!

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger Mason said…

    Koelsch is a freakin' stud. And when he gets a guitar in his hands--of any type: classical, aucoustic, micro-tonal mandolin, ukalele--fogedabadit.

    Without Koelsch, Hip Replacement would still feature Newman on guitar (and smell a lot worse); and Encrimson'd would either have a southern, aloof twang with Harvey, or feature content about Dew runs to Super America with Chia.

    Jess, clearly it was dream if Reed got any at all--vicariously through me or not. If I had a penny for every time a girl has told me they dreamed of me, I'd be able to share my opinion soon. Also, there might not be anything sexier than a girl talking about sex and using the correct lay/lie tense. You did that on purpose because you know it gets me haught.

    Speaking of haught, Sabres in 6 games. In the west: Oilers in 6. For The Cup: Sabres in 7--winning it IN Buffalo. Chris Drury will be proclaimed King of Everyting and be mobbed for sex by every woman and man in Buffalo. Everyone will want to party with Ryan Miller, but he's so profesh and manly that he'll be in hiding, reviewing video tape of each playoff game in order to fine-tune his game even more. But the rest of the citizens will errupt into fiery celebration and burn the city to the ground--indeed INTO the ground. New Yorkers in Manhattan will be bitter for 103 years but somehow not too disappointed that Buffalo is no more.

    Patrick: I turn 27 in July. :p

    J2B2: I bet you can't take a shot without a chaser. :p

    Ma: Couldn't have done any of it without you.

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Jean. said…

    Aha! I recognize your mom (hi Jared's mom) from the MN Music Cafe.

    I remember seeing her there one night and thinking--hmmm...Jared said his mom was blonde, but that lady can't be Jared's mom because she is:
    a) too young.
    b) too thin to have ever birthed anything.

    I'm serious. I have no reason to suck up to your mom, so that's true stuff. She's a good dancer too. I have never, ever made fun of her.

    Jared. You're still in Mankato aren't you? You must call and then we must go out for a beer or for many beers. We can talk about people behind their backs.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Jessica said…

    I just noticed that y'all are hairy men. Is it a club. The hairy-club for men?

    PS Did you tell Amanda that the three of us are getting married yet?

     
  • At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, Jessica, they are all very hairy men. You have to have a beard to be in their club. Oh, and when is the wedding date? I think a fall wedding would be nice.

     
  • At 6:03 AM, Blogger Mason said…

    I'll take credit as the initiator of hair. Soon, though, all our hair will be trimmed into fine lip hedges for our road trip to Colorado. Seven staches in an RV. Oh. Man.

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    Amanda,

    A fall wedding would be beautiful! We could have the reception at Blue Bricks. Let's have a bachelorette party!

    Pat,

    I suppose you can have Jared. But Amanda and I get him every other weekend and holidays. I imagine your children will look a bit like Stewy. Whereas Amanda and my child will look like Annie.

    I don't think my friend was scared of you. She's friends with me, after all. I will look into this. She's moving back to NY, though.

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger Chad said…

    Jared! Some observations:
    1) Bronce and Koelsch are rockin' the pink shirts...but no one rocks a pink sweater like this mo-fo.

    2) Seeing your family makes, in hindsight, the reading of your screenplay a much more meaningful experience. I mean...LOOK at the Hawk....beautiful.

    3) We must get a beer soon. Many of us.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As the French say, le sigh. I can't believe that I missed it. Though, I did drink several Mai Tais in your honor. Looks as though a good time was had by all.

    I'm with Chad, your screenplay is now much more meaningful.

    As far as the hairy guy club, I have to imagine it has to do with playing hockey and music. Right? I mean, what else could it be?

    I am jealous of Koelsch's guitar playing ability, and I've only heard the one CD you gave me. Perhaps Hip Replacement should reunite in Mankato for all to see?! Learn guitar has been on my list for a while, one day I'll get to it and maybe I can join the band (if only as the "guy who makes weird noises with his instrument" guy). Or, like Beck's band, maybe I could be the guy who just dances wildly.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Mason said…

    I believe the term for "guy who dances wildly" is Funkateer, coined by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. How do you look in plaid? Doesn't matter: Can you bounce in place?

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh man, I totally forgot about The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I look hot in plaid, doesn't everyone (steamy, really)? I look debonair in a suit though, and I thought he wore one of those....

    In either case, I can bounce in place for shure.

     
  • At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jean - I've been looking for you at MMC for like - forever! Were you there tonight? Next time, come say, 'hey'.

    Macmike - we still hang the Bosstone's Plaid xmas ornaments on the tree every year - the ones Mason's waiting to inherit.

    'Lizabeth

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger Granted...I'm Collin said…

    I believe the term "Funketeer" was coined by the one and only Parliament (funkedelic may have used it).

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Mason said…

    Yeah, I was pretty sure Parliment came up with the term, but did they call their dudes who didn't play an instrument Funkateers? Besides, I learned it first from MMBs, but I'm sure they'd be the first to admit they borrowed the term from Parliment.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home